Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My Dinner With Andre (1981)


There hasn't been another movie anything like this one.  It's still relevant.  For the interested, just replace all references to theatre arts, acting, plays, etc. with classical music, symphonic or chamber music, recitals, preparation, practice, etc. 

There is a break in the "action" in the link, and for that reason, I've provided a link to the screenplay.  The break occurs sometime after this point in the script:

ANDRE: Okay! Yes! We're bored! We're all bored now! But has it ever occurred to you, Wally, that the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brain-washing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money? And that all of this is much more dangerous than one thinks? And it's not just a question of individual survival, Wally, but that somebody who's bored is asleep, and somebody who's asleep will not say "no"?


The action resumes and you can follow it again on the provided link, about here:  Wally is speaking -

I mean, really, I mean.... I mean, all right. Let's say: if I get a fortune cookie in a Chinese restaurant, I mean, of course, even I have a tendency, I mean, you know, I mean, of course, I would hardly throw it out! I mean, I read it, I read it, and I just instinctively sort of, you know, if it says something like: "Conversation with a dark-haired man will be very important for you," well, I just instinctively think, you know, who do I know who has dark hair? Did we have a conversation? What did we talk about?

Screenplays, much like compositions, have their little episodes and nuances.  I also remind my readers that much that makes up the informative warnings in this movie are now thirty years old! 

My Dinner With Andre

FINIS

No comments:

Post a Comment